The Fourth of July is almost here. Holidays like these are a great time to talk to and teach kids about their country and it’s history. Check out some of the patriotic Children's books that we love:Pin It Now!
- Wow! America! by Robert Neubecker is a simple story where a baby runs away and her older sister goes after her and they see some of the wonderful things in the United States that make us all go “Wow!” Each page has a short title like “Wow Statue” for The Statue of Liberty , then a little more text to explain what the reader is looking at. The illustrations are detailed and the map on the inside cover is fun to play with as well.
- Red, White, and Blue (Penguin Young Readers, L3) by John Herman is a great non fiction read about the American flag. It’s filled with facts but it also has great colorful pictures that support the text.
- Hats off for the Fourth of July by Harriet Ziefert is a useful and entertaining book for children who are just understanding what this holiday is all about. The book follows a parade with hints of what is next to come along, making the reader feel the same feelings real parade goer does as they stand on their tipy toes to see what is on it’s way.
- America: My Land, Your Land, Our Land by W.Nikola-Lisa showcases how The United States is made up of drastic opposites. Each page is devoted to two opposing features such as bright and dark, yours and mine, old and young. Then the illustrations reflect these opposites. The text is short and illustrations are beautiful.
- The 4th of July Story - This story makes the American Revolution come to life for children. It's a great starter book for children interested in the "why" of the holiday. We hey learned a bit about the British, the settlers, the colonies and the great men of that time who impacted our future - George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams. It is a wonderful way to explain our history in a way children can digest and spark an interest in the past that so importantly shaped our future.
- F Is for Flag shows in simple terms how one flag can mean many things: a symbol of unity, a sign of welcome, and a reminder that-in good times and in bad-everyone in our country is part of one great big family.
- Madison's Patriotic Project is story of a little girl Madison, who creates a beautiful patriotic scrapbook that she is confident will win her the first prize and free pizza at President's Day. Despite her self-assurance, her classmate Jonathan wins the prize and Madison is devastated. With gentle counseling from her parents and her stuffed animal Courage the Lion, she does the right thing and congratulates Jonathan for winning.
- A is for America by Devin Scillian is a perfect mix of national pride and real facts. There are plenty of fantastic reasons to celebrate America and this book lays them on the table from A to Z !
- One Nation Under God is the perfect book to teach little patriots about the basics of America. It guides children through the building blocks of America in a fun and engaging way. Beautiful full-color illustrations by Anthony Resto.