Monday, July 16, 2012

I will help Earth - Writing Activity for Kids #readforgood

We did this Earth Day writing activity on how kids can help the Earth. 
It is Week 5 of Readathon at MeMetales, This weeks theme is 'Go Green' and the featured books are What Does it Mean to be Green and Let's go Chipper
 
After reading the books, Putti asked if she can paint an earth like she has done many times before. She wanted to use bingo markers and I suggested coffee filter, which is already round and also I love how the colors blend. So here she is coloring the coffee filter with her bingo markers.
Here is the completely colored earth, left for drying.
While that was drying, she colored 2 hearts in the colors of her choice (which was green and blue today). Then wrote the words "I Love Earth" on it after it dried using a black sharpie. Took a piece of ribbon and taped the painted hearts and earth one below the other to the ribbon. 
I've noticed my girl is much more into writing when I pair it with a craft, what I call a "craftivity".  So, instead of stopping at this, I asked her how can she help the earth she loves. And stemming from the 'I will' book, I gave her beginning of the sentences and she said what all she will do, which I taped to the bottom of the earth. 
Here are even more ideas for celebrating Earth Day:



Playdough Mosaic Earth Coffee Filter Earth Everyday Earth Day
Earth Day for Kids Earth Day for preschoolers Earth Day activity for Kids
Paint Chip Earth Pista Shell Earth Salt Paint Earth
Earth Day for Kids Earth Day Kids Activity Earth Day activity for Kids

Linking to all places mentioned here.
Disclaimer – I will be receiving the books that I feature from MeMeTales in exchange for sharing our fun ideas each week.
Pin It Now!

3 Comments :

Post a Comment