Putti had a great time today, playing in the sand for a long time!!
We had a sand festival for the first time in our city and Putti did not want to miss it. There were exhibits created by award winning professional sand sculptures too.
And oh boy, did she have fun! Stomping the sand, feeling it, using molds and toys. It was a blast for putti and all the other kids. No one wanted to go home ;) Living on a 2nd floor apartment, we do not have a sand box at home. She loves to play with sand at her school and when we visit beach.
There was a competition too and some groups had really done cool sculptures.
All in all a fun filled day for Putti.
Children have loads of FUN playing in the sand while learning and developing new skills!!!
- Running sand through fingers or toes and enjoying the texture is relaxing and great sensory play.
- The whole body is exercised as the kids stomp, dig, scoop, sift and pour the sand, strengthening their large motor skills. Standing and walking in the loose sand itself helps maintain overall balance and coordination.
- Playing together in the sand calls for sharing, negotiation and taking turns.
- What happens to sand when water is added? and other simple experiments are great learning opportunities
- As the sand is poured and measured, kids learn about more and less, full and empty etc.
- Sand is great for mark making. Kids love using fingers or sticks to write letters, numbers, shapes etc.
- Read this article on Little Red Hen and this one to learn more about benefits of sand play.
- Love this DIY Sandbox at the Golden Gleam.