Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Banner !!!

Putti and me had lot of fun putting this Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Banner together. 
 
We have made quiet a few banners/ buntings so far like one for her last year art birthday, one on sankranti, holi and another for yugadi. I know Putti enjoys making them, so we sat down to make one again this year for her birthday. 

I could have used green construction paper and avoided the painting step, but I knew putti will enjoy this painting part more. So First, I cut circles out of white card stock. Used a bowl to trace the circle which was around 5" in diameter. Later poured green paint and gave putti a wide brush to paint with. I put a small loop of painter's tape on the back of the circles, so that it stuck to the paper underneath and putti did not have to hold it while painting, makes it easier for little hands. 
Oh my, did she have fun doing it...
 
As, she kept painting, I moved the ones that were done to dry and taped new ones to paint for her...
She then painted some reds too...
 
                                                              The whole lot for circles...
She did paint some yellow and brown too, but I forgot to take pictures of them. I cut eyes from the yellow and painted green eyeballs just like in the book. And cut brown antennae and legs. Here, we are trying to see which legs look better and putti voted for the ones with foot just like in the The Very Hungry Caterpillar Book!!

I also made this photo caterpillar which has photos of her from day 1, 1st, 2nd and 3rd birthdays. I printed the photos in 4X6 size and cut circles of them and pasted on the green body.
To assemble the banner, I taped them on the back onto a curling ribbon. Please ignore the print on the back, these are actually Christmas cards I found on sale 50 cards for 99cents!!You could punch holes in the top and thread the ribbon too, if you want.

For the letters, unlike last time when I wrote or printed and cut each letter and glued them. I went for a easier method this time, I purchased the alphabet stickers I needed, from 'Party city' you know the ones you use for personalizing your balloons. They are 15cents each and that made it very easy. How do you like this banner?
 
Pin It Now!

2 Comments :

this is wonderful, I love that you painted the circles rather than just cutting them out of coloured paper. Hope the party went/goes well.

Kierna,
Thanks! Oh yes, im always up for letting her paint which she loves. Most of her winter break was spent in 'preparation' for her party:)
Yes, it went on great!

Post a Comment