Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Coffee Filter Earth

This week we have been talking and learning about our earth, recycling, doing some gardening and ways we can take care of our planet. We made these lovely coffee filter earths to decorate our room. 
First lay the coffee filter on a newspaper. Mix water with blue and green food coloring in separate containers. Then use eyedroppers to drop colors on to the filters. We took turns with the colors. It was 2 drops of blue and 1 drop of green. It turned out that mastering the eyedropper is a little tricky, but great for fine motor muscles. Allow to dry. When dry, glue onto black construction paper and stick some star stickers on the paper around the 'earth'. It looks like planet earth as viewed from outer space. Sorry about the bad quality photo.



Similar earth activities:
Salt Paint Earth
Footprint Earth
Paper plate Earth
Foam Earth Mosaic
Play dough Earth
Paper mache Earth
Coffee Filter Earth

Linking this post to the wonderful blog hops mentioned here.
Pin It Now!

15 Comments :

Very nice! The colors turned out nice and dark!

Such a beautiful Earth Day project! I'm definitely doing it with my boys. Thanks for the wonderful idea. I also shared it on my blog here: http://mymontessorimoments.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/your-tissue-box-repurposed-into-a-mystery-box/

Thanks Melissa, PhaseJumper, My Oatmeal Kisses and Lori! Putti had fun making this.
@Lori, Would love to see ur photos! And thanks for sharing the idea:)

O! wonderful project, Roopa. Like the idea of making it look like as viewed from outer space!
I will check out your other links, too - related to earth crafts.

Oh that is very pretty and most definitely perfect for Earth day! Lovely!!

Thank you for your faithful linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!!

Maggy

Wonderful earth Day project! I love the stars and the earth!

Thank you for your lovely comments, I value your dropping in and your thoughts!!

That's such a cute idea. Thanks so much for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday.

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.

You have so many fabulous craft ideas for kids...

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

I did this with my kids at the preschool, but used blue and yellow food coloring as I figured the blue and yellow would blend to make green. After they dried I glued them onto a white piece of paper and wrote as the title "My Earth Day Pledge" and then down below (under the Earth), I had the kids tell me what they were going to do to help the Earth. It ended up looking pretty cool. I found some good Earth Day books at the library, that gave the kids ideas. Love how yours turned out! You are right it is tricky!

Post a Comment